We began today’s class by finishing our discussion of the changes in music production and distribution from last time. Here’s the text from the slide I showed with short summaries of each of the 3 articles we read on this topic — each author’s name links to the article. Remember that your blog posts should include a short summary of the reading you choose to write about.
• In this article Malitz reviews the Radiohead album “In Rainbows,” which was initially available only from their website as a free download.
• Elton, a former music industry executive, discusses the many services that major record labels offer to support their musical artists.
• Jones explores the growth in popularity of music groups on independent record labels, using the Arcade Fire album “The Suburbs” as an example.
For the rest of the class we discussed Web 2.0. Below are the words we wrote on the board when discussing the 2 articles we read (click to see a larger version of the image):
And here’s the text from the other slides we viewed during our discussion:
1. Conversion to digital (both text and non-text media) –> ability to INTERACT with these media
2. Issues w/participatory media?
• Organization (findability)